Recipe – Black Lentil Salad with Roasted Vegetables
BBQ season is upon us! Our Estate Manager, Blair Dufty has shared one of his favourite recipes – Black Lentil Salad with Roasted Vegetables. Our Meritage is the perfect pairing, the palate is elegant and full bodied with notes of ripe raspberry, blueberry, savoury herbs, and a hint of smoke with a long rich finish – the perfect complement for a BBQ!
Black Lentil Salad with Roasted Vegetables
2 cups butternut squash, cubed
2 cups Brussels sprouts, quartered
1 red onion, thickly sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 tsp fresh parsley
1 cup black lentils, rinsed
3 cups water or vegetable broth
3 tsps balsamic syrup (balsamic vinegar can be reduced as a substitute)
pinch kosher salt
pinch ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°F
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, add butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, and red onion. Season with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix until seasoning is fully distributed.
3. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
4. In a medium saucepan, add black lentils and water. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and cover, simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain excess water.
6. When vegetables are finished roasting, transfer to a mixing bowl and add lentils.
7. In a bowl, combine balsamic syrup (or reduced balsamic vinegar), thyme, salt, and pepper; whisk until blended.
8. Pour dressing over lentils and vegetables, toss until fully coated. Sprinkle fresh parsley and serve.